The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on February 15, 2012. The Board conducted the following business.
- Principals Courtney Kern, Michael Umfleet, and Michael Johnson discussed discipline data with the Board of Education. Over the past several years, the data showed discipline incidents have declined in all building levels. The administration attributed the decline to programs implemented in the District including such items as The Leader in Me, the attendance policy with Truancy Court, and the student dress code.
- The Board reviewed and adopted revisions of MUSIC Policies and Regulations.
- The Board voted to adopt the 2012-13 school calendar. Using recently passed legislation that allows flexibility in the number of student attendance days, the calendar will contain 173 days of student attendance rather than the traditional 175. The change will create a total of more instructional hours for the students throughout the year as the only half-day scheduled in the calendar is the last day of school. All of the other days are full days to lessen the need for parents to find afternoon care for their young children on short days, lessen transportation issues on short days, and lessen classroom disruption and discipline issues that occur on short days. Also, two separate parent-teacher conference days were scheduled and lengthened to allow more time for conferences, and 5 days were scheduled for teacher professional development. The student start date is August 15, and the end date is May 16.
- The Board voted to update the school flag. The emblem will be the official Ram logo; the other parts of the flag will remain the same.
In Closed Session, the Board of Education took the following action.
- Voted to extend the two year contract of elementary Principal Courtney Kern through the 2013-14 school year.
- Voted to extend the two year contract of middle school Principal Michael Umfleet through the 2013-14 school year.
- Voted to extend the two year contract of high school principal Michael Johnson through the 2013-14 school year.
- Re-employed Marcia Daniels as Director of Special Services and Kerry Thompson as Assistant Principal/Athletic Director.