The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in special session on April 11, 2012, for the purpose of reorganizing the board following the April 3 election. Recently elected board members Gary Miller and Beth Cox took the oath of office. The Board then voted to elect the following officers: Scott Amick, president; Gary Miller, vice-president; Sally Porch, secretary; Lisa Schaefer, treasurer.
Following the reorganizational meeting, the Board met in regular session. The Board conducted the following business.
- Keisha Panagos, the high school A+ coordinator, presented the annual evaluation of the A+ program. Board members were informed of the use of the school website for public information about the program, the comments from students who have been tutoring elementary students, program goals, etc.
- The Board was given an update on the work completed on the district curriculum. Keisha Panagos, curriculum coordinator, told the Board that the main focus this year has been on updating the science curriculum. They were, also, informed about the implementation of the math curriculum and that the revised high school course descriptions were on the school website.
- Following the election, the Board conducted their annual review of policies concerning board member code of ethics, confidentiality, and responsibilities.
- The Board voted to offer the following health insurance plans for the 2012-13 school year: PPO 3000, HSA10 3000Emb, and HSA11 3000. The board contributes $423/month for health insurance benefits and the employee may either buy up to the PPO plan or buy down to an HSA plan.
- A 2012-13 budget hearing was held in which estimated revenues and estimated expenditures were discussed.
- After reviewing various proposals for surfacing on the track facility, the board requested that official bids be taken to place a 2" asphalt overlay on the track. The 2" overlay would prepare the foundation for the possibility of rubberizing the track in the future. The board, also, requested that bids be taken for the bus parking lot.
- The board voted to set the last day of school for May 18, thus canceling the one snow make-up date. School dismisses at 11:00/11:30 on that day.
In Closed Session, the Board of Education took the following action.
- Employed Steven Hendricks as high school social studies teacher and volleyball coach for 2012-13.
- Accepted the resignation of Dianne Roth as Speech/Language Pathologist who plans to retire at the end of the school year.
- Employed staff members for extra duty positions.