The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in special session on April 9, 2013, for the purpose of reorganizing following the recent election. The Board approved the election results as certified by the Scott County Clerk with the following totals: Gary Elders - 303, Bobby Underwood - 191, and Lisa Schaefer - 232. Following the swearing in of Schaefer and Elders, the Board elected Scott Amick as president, Beth Cox as vice-president, Sally Porch as secretary, and Gary Miller as treasurer.
The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session immediately following the reorganizational meeting.
The Board conducted the following business.
- After conducting an annual review of policies guiding board members' code of ethics, confidentiality, and other responsibilities, the members of the board submitted signed documents agreeing to the policies.
- The Board approved contributing $423 per month per employee toward the cost of health insurance for next school year, the same amount as contributed this year. The board also selected three health insurance plan options based upon the requests of the employees. The plans selected were HSA39 5000, HSA10 Emb, and HSA11 3000. Over the past two years, employees have migrated toward the Health Savings Account plans, which are consumer driven plans. The migration has resulted in lower loss ratios which have accounted for only a 1.8% increase in premiums for next year for the District.
- A hearing was held concerning anticipated revenues and expenditures for the 2013-14 Budget.
- The Board received one proposal for its banking services and voted to accept The Bank of Missouri as its new provider.
- Following a presentation by Middle School Principal Mike Umfleet and High School Principal Mike Johnson, the Board voted to adjust the class bell schedule for the next school year. Passing time between classes will switch from 5 minutes to 4 minutes to increase time to provide an advisory period for students at the end of the day. In addition, the bell schedule change will provide one common lunch time for high school students as well as adjust the lunch serving times for middle school and elementary students.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken:
- Voted to hire Danielle Healy as speech/language pathologist for the 2013-14 school year.
- Approved a list of individuals for extra duty and coaching assignments for next school year.