The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on July 17, 2013. Board members Scott Amick, Beth Cox, Sally Porch, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, and Gary Elders were present. Board member Daniel Lance was not present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- The Board approved a motion to proceed with Phase II of the FEMA Safe Room Grant. The District recently received notice from the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency that they have approved the construction plans and documents submitted for the $1.5 million grant and that construction funding has been authorized. The 75% FEMA/25% local monies matching grant will fund the construction of a tornado safe room that is designed to withstand up to the 250mph winds of an EF5 tornado. The facility will also serve Scott City Schools as a visual and performing arts center. Over the past three years, the District has been saving money toward construction of the project. The District will soon be advertising for bids on the project.
- After reviewing the Annual Secretary of the Board Report, the Board adopted the document as presented. The ASBR reflects beginning and ending balances from the 2012-13 fiscal year. The total for all funds was $2,473,270 which documented an unrestricted fund balance of 18.36% and a capital projects fund of $912,773. The balance in the capital projects fund reflects the savings over the past three years in anticipation of building the FEMA tornado safe room.
- Board members received updates to the MUSIC Policies and Regulations to review for discussion and adoption at the August meeting.
- Superintendent Diann Ulmer reported to the Board that estimates were being received on the replacement of the softball and baseball bleachers and discussed with them various options for the new seating.
- Gate prices were set for the 2013-14 school year, the same as last year. The prices are as follows: Adults - $3, Students - $2, Senior Citizens (55 & older) - $2, Family Pass (for immediate family only) - $75, Individual Pass - $35, Student Pass - $15.
- Lunch and breakfast prices were set for the 2013-14 school year. The prices are as follows:
Grades K-4 Grades 5-12 Adult Reduced
Breakfast $1.10 $1.10 $1.25 $.30
Lunch $1.70 $1.80 $2.05 $.40
In Closed Session, no action was taken.