The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on December 18, 2013. Board members Scott Amick, Beth Cox, Sally Porch, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, and Gary Elders were present. Board member Daniel Lance was not present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- After reviewing revisions to MUSIC Policies and Regulations, the Board approved the updates as presented.
- The Board approved the quarterly revision of the 2013-14 Budget. The budget was amended to include additional revenue from the state following an increase in the pro-ration factor and an additional expenditure of a potential purchase of a school bus.
- The Board approved a quote from Central States Bus Sales, Inc. for the the purchase of a pre-owned bus, pending satisfactory inspection by the District's bus mechanic. The cost for the 77 passenger, 2013 Blue Bird All American is $71,900.
- Due to the number of days of school missed because of the recent ice/snowstorm, the Board voted to amend the 2013-14 Calendar. The revision included the following make-up days, in order: December 20 (early dismissal), January 20, February 17, March 20, March 24, May 21, May 22, May 23. The district missed 4 full days due to the inclement weather, and all four days will have to be made up. Additionally, the professional development day has been moved from March 20 to March 21.
- High School Principal Mike Johnson presented a list of students whom he had approved for part-time attendance for second semester.
- Superintendent Diann Ulmer informed the Board that the filings had begun for the April election of school board. There are three, three year terms available. To date, Scott Amick and Sally Porch have filed for those positions. In addition, she reported that the District's November attendance rate was 95.92%, compared to 94.68% last year during the month of November. She distributed information about SchoolReach, the new parent notification system, and the agenda for the professional development day scheduled for staff on January 3.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken:
- Voted to hire Kaitlin Zink as high school softball coach.
Following closed session, correspondence was read and the announcement was made that the next regular meeting is scheduled for January 15, 2014. In addition, the Board Secretary announced that Director Daniel Lance has missed three consecutive regular meetings of the Board of Education. The Board discussed Missouri State Statute Chapter 162, Section 162.303, which governs board member attendance at meetings and states "Any member of the school board of a seven-director district, including urban districts, failing to attend the meetings of the board for three consecutive regular meetings, unless excused by the board for reasons satisfactory to the board, shall be deemed to have vacated the seat; and the secretary of the board shall certify that fact to the board. The vacancy shall be filled as other vacancies occurring in the board. " Citing the statute, the members of the Board deemed the seat of Daniel Lance as vacated. The Board directed Superintendent Diann Ulmer to draft a letter, to be signed by the board president and board secretary, notifying Mr. Lance of the vacated status.