The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session at 7:00 p.m. on May 21, 2014. Board members Beth Cox, Scott Amick, Heraleen Bowers, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, Gary Elders, and Brad Uelsmann were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- The Board recognized the Elementary Honor Choir under the direction of Heather Sneed. The Choir performed two folk songs as well as "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in preparation for their scheduled performance to sing on the field at Busch Stadium, during the 7th inning stretch, on July 18 for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball game.
- Marcia Daniels, Director of Special Services, presented the Board with information about the Special Education Compliance Plan. The Board voted to adopt the state model as its local plan.
- The Board voted to update Policy 6180 adding a statement that the Director of Special Services would serve as the District ELL coordinator.
- The building principals reported to the Board the most recent enrollment information with regard to summer school. Elementary Principal Courtney Kern outlined the plans for "Summer Leadership Camp 2014" where students enrolled will be encouraged to "find their voice." Students will be encouraged to take on leadership roles during the camp as well as participate in a special project hour of their own choosing.
- Mike Johnson, high school principal, submitted a list of seniors who have been approved for part-time attendance next school year.
- The Board approved minor changes to the dress code in the student handbooks. The changes included 1)solid color tights or leggings are permitted under dress code approved shorts, skirts, and dresses 2) cargo pants or shorts would be permitted.
- The Board set the ground breaking ceremony for the FEMA Safe Room for Monday, June 16 at 10:30 a.m.
In Closed Session, the following business was conducted.
- The Board hired Edward Connell as special education teacher and Jessica Kidd for speech/language pathologist for 2014-15.
- The Board accepted the resignation of Danielle Healy as speech/language pathologist.
- The Board approved a list of staff for summer school as well as a list of staff for extra duty positions.
- The Board was presented a list of support staff to be employed for next school year.
- The Board approved the letter of intent to retire, effective at the end of the 2014-15 school year, from Superintendent Diann Bradshaw Ulmer.