The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on July 16, 2014. Board members Beth Cox, Scott Amick, Heraleen Bowers, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, Gary Elders, and Brad Uelsmann were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- The Board approved the Annual Secretary of the Board Report as presented. The ASBR reflects the following totals: General Fund -- $1,235,922; Debt Service Fund -- $317,662; Capital Projects Fund -- $900,332.92, and restricted funds of $1,281.93. The unrestricted fund balance ended at 18.15%.
- The Board set the breakfast/lunch prices for 2014-15. Effective July 1, 2011, Section 205 of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, required school districts participating in the National School Lunch Program to provide "equity in school lunch pricing." The USDA has issued a memo reminding LEA's that those who, on a weighted average, charged less than $2.59 for paid lunches in FY14 are required to adjust their weighted average lunch at a maximum of 10 cent increase per year. The following are prices approved, which included a 5 cent increase across the board for paid breakfasts and lunches:
- The Board set gate prices, as follows, for 2014-15, which are the same as last year:
- Adults -- $3
- Students -- $2
- Senior Citizens (55 & older)/military personnel with valid ID -- $2
- Family Pass (for immediate family only) -- $75
- Individual Pass -- $35
- Student Pass -- $15
- After discussing joining the Missouri School Board Association at a cost of $4741, the Board voted not to become members of MSBA.
- The Board reviewed proposals for the purchase of an outside message center to replace the existing sign. The bid, in the amount of $22,264.29, was accepted from Canedy Sign and Graphics, Cape Girardeau, Mo. The sign is an LED illuminated UL with a double faced 48 x 112 matrix 20 mm full color Optec message center. Another company that submitted a bid was Coast to Coast Signs, Scott City, Mo.
- The Board reviewed the proposals for auditorium seating for the FEMA Safe Room. The Board voted to begin negotiations with Bulte Company, St. Louis, MO for the purchase of the theater seats. The Board requested to see a sample of the chair proposed by Bulte as well as a drawing showing the number of seats to fill the theater based upon the size of the chair. Other companies that sent proposals were Affinity Office Furniture, Columbia, Mo. and Camatic Seating, Inc., Louisville, Ky.
- The Board reviewed the proposals for the purchase of a sound system for the FEMA Safe Room. The Board voted to accept the bid of $17,771 from Collins Music, Sikeston, Mo. The system will utilize Peavey products. Another company that submitted a bid was Hi-Tech Communications.
- Only one proposal was submitted for purchase of the curtain system for the stage in the FEMA Safe Room. The proposal was submitted by Hi-Tech communications. The decision to purchase the curtain system was tabled until further information could be received.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken.
- The Board voted to hire the following individuals to fill coaching duties: James May, HS baseball; Travis Schiwitz, HS track; Stephen Hendricks, MS Volleyball; Chris Bradshaw, MS Track; Lance Amick, HS Softball; Nick Grassi, JV Baseball; Corey Rogers, MS assistant football.