The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in a special work session on September 15, 2014. Board members Beth Cox, Scott Amick, Heraleen Bowers, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, Gary Elders, and Brad Uelsmann were present. The Board took an in-depth look at the district and building level MAP, EOC, ACT, and APR Scores. Dr. Keisha Panagos, curriculum coordinator, prepared the comparison data for the Board and presented the testing results trends for each of the buildings and the district. No board action was taken at the special work session.
The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on September 17, 2014. Board members Beth Cox, Scott Amick, Heraleen Bowers, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, Gary Elders, and Brad Uelsmann were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- The Board accepted the bid from Bulte Company for theater seats for the FEMA Safe Room/Arts Center. The bid was for 315 seats for a total of $44,345, installed.
- Board members Beth Cox and Heraleen Bowers gave a report to the other members about the recent tour of the Poplar Bluff Boys' and Girls' Club. They reported that the club had helped increase MAP scores in Poplar Bluff through the use of a "power hour" in which students spent time after school doing homework while at the club.
- The Board approved the quarterly revision of the 2014-15 budget. The budget, which includes the expenses associated with the construction of the FEMA Safe Room, has estimated total revenues in the amount of $8,872,999 and estimated expenses in the amount of $9,689,105.
- The Board approved the 2014-15 Budget Document as presented. The Budget Document includes the statutory requirements of a budget message, estimated revenues for this year and at least the two years next preceding, proposed expenditures and at least two years next preceding itemized by departments, and a general budget summary with estimated transfers from fund one to other funds.
- The Board voted to maintain membership in the Missouri United School Insurance Council (MUSIC) for 2015. MUSIC provides property insurance, liability insurance, as well as workmen's compensation insurance for the district.
- The members of the Board were given usernames and passwords for reviewing the on-line district curriculum that has been recently updated to align with the Missouri Learning Standards. The Board was asked to review the mathematics curriculum for approval at the October meeting and the English language arts curriculum for approval at the November meeting.
- The Board reviewed and adopted the updates to the MUSIC policies and regulations.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken.
- The Board approved a Travis Schiwitz as varsity girls' basketball coach, Mark Dannenmueller as middle school boys' basketball coach, and Travis Estes as robotics assistant coach.