The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on March 18, 2015. Board members Beth Cox, Scott Amick, Heraleen Bowers, Gary Miller, Lisa Schaefer, Gary Elders, and Brad Uelsmann were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- The Board watched a presentation given by the Robotics teams and their mentors, Randy Shinn and Travis Estes. Students Nick, Dylan, Matt, Will, Amanda, and Kurt talked to the Board about their experiences with the Robotics program and competitions and then operated Team Robot #6377 for the members to watch. Mr. Shinn gave a brief history of the organization, which is in its 6th year, and informed the board the team now has 17 student members. Recently, two of the three teams, qualified for the state competition in Rolla. Team #8403 placed third in its division, and Team #6377, named The Other Guys, won its division and then qualified for the Super-Regional in Des Moines, Iowa. The team is currently working to raise funds for the trip to Iowa as was explained by parent Carie Boswell. She encouraged the members of the Board and others present to purchase raffle tickets or participate in other events they were having.
- Elementary counselor Jamie Sander, middle school counselor Nancy Townsend, and curriculum coordinator Keisha Panagos presented information to the Board about the changes in the MAP testing for this year for grades 3-8. They informed the members that testing will all be on-line and many preparations have been made in anticipation of the event.
- The quarterly revision of the 2014-15 budget was approved. The revision included the recent execution of $1,750,000 in bond proceeds from the Proposition Kids initiative that was passed by the voters in November. The budget shows estimated revenues of $10,723,158 and estimated expenditures of $10,548,064, reflective of the bond proceeds and the construction of the FEMA Safe Room.
- The Board was shown the revised school calendar following the recent inclement weather days. The calendar currently shows the last date of attendance as May 26. The Board also reviewed the summer school calendar which has a start date of May 28 and end date of June 19.
- The Board approved revisions to the MUSIC polices and regulations as presented.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken.
- The Board approved a list of individuals for spring coaching duties.
- The Board re-employed Marcia Daniels as special services director and Kerry Thompson as athletic director for the 2015-16 school year.
- The Board re-employed the following teachers for the 2015-16 school year, giving them a tenured contract: Lindsay Aycock and Mark Dannenmueller.
- The Board re-employed the following probationary teachers for the 2015-16 school year: Laura Enderle, Judy Hoffmeister, Katie Hendricks, Sarah McClard, Jana Porch, Annah Voshage, Nick Grassi, Angela Lachenmayr, Whitney Tankersley, Edward Connell, and Stephen Hendricks.
- The Board hired April Garner as elementary principal for the 2015-16 school year. Ms. Garner currently serves in the assistant principal capacity as a principal intern at Jefferson Elementary in Cape Girardeau. During her career, she has taught kindergarten, 1st grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade as well as being a communication arts teacher in the Title I program.