The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on May 20, 2015. Board members Beth Cox, Gary Elders, Heraleen Bowers, Brad Uelsmann, Scott Amick, Lisa Schaefer, and Justin Braun were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- Prior to the board meeting three students were recognized for their winning in the Zaner Bloser National Handwriting Contest. Winners were first grader Houston from Laura Pletcher's class, second grader Lillian from Stephanie Rhyne's class, and third grader Logan from Laura Enderle's class. Each student received a medal and a framed picture of their entry. Carie Boswell, first grade teacher, organized the contest locally and received a $200 Zaner Bloser gift card for her use.
- Elementary Principal Courtney Kern informed the Board they currently have 231 students enrolled for summer school and presented to the board the summer school handbook. Middle School Principal Mike Umfleet stated they would be offering three separate special sessions that include Hunter Safety, Spanish, and Exploratory Science, and currently have an enrollment of 89 students. High School Principal Mike Johnson told the Board that he has approximately 100 students enrolled taking such courses as dual credit psychology, PE, and remedial courses.
- Mr. Johnson gave the Board a list of students that have requested and met requirements for part-time attendance for the 2015-16 school year.
- The Board approved a change to the middle school handbook policy regarding assignments/homework.
- The Board approved a motion to change the middle school and high school bell schedule that included moving the advisory period to around lunchtime to help implement the new ICU program.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken.
- The Board approved a list of staff for summer school as presented.
- The Board accepted the following resignations from teachers effective at the end of the school year: Laura Enderle, third grade; Nick Grassi, special education; Seth Ward, social studies, and Amy Coffey, Spanish.
- The Board employed Kyle Clay as high school and middle school band and music teacher for the 2015-16 school year.
- The Board hired the following for extra duty positions: Jessica Braun, cheerleading coach; Christy Riley, volleyball coach; Kyle Clay, marching band.
- The Board hired Jenelle Lee as high school social studies teacher for the 2015-16 school year.