The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on June 9, 2015. Board members Beth Cox, Gary Elders, Heraleen Bowers, Brad Uelsmann, Scott Amick, Lisa Schaefer, and Justin Braun were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- Superintendent Diann Ulmer showed the student attendance rate for the District for the 2014-15 school year, which stood at 95.56%. Superintendent Ulmer, also, presented preliminary drawings for the secured entrances and cafeteria renovations being made possible by the funds provided from the Prop Kids Bond Issue. She informed the board that members of the Prop Kids Committee are being invited to look at the drawings to aid in the feedback to the architect.
- Principal Courtney Kern was recognized for her service and dedication for the past 12 years to the students of Scott City Elementary. Superintendent Ulmer presented a Certificate of Appreciation to Mrs. Kern as well as identified some of Mrs. Kern's accomplishments over the years. Those items included such things as the additional safety measures established for students on the playground and drop off/pick up of students before/after school, the increase in parental involvement including Muffins with Mom and Donuts with Dad, the guidance in establishing the elementary as a Covey "Leader in Me" school, and the creative idea of the elementary Honor Choir which has represented the school at the Veteran's Home, the Cancer Center, and the St. Louis Cardinals baseball games.
- Elementary Principal Courtney Kern gave an update on Federal Programs including requirements associated with receiving program dollars. The Board was given a copy of the allocations for the 2015-16 school year.
- The Board approved the tentative final 2014-15 budget as presented pending the necessary adjustments through the end of June, including the receipt of state revenue and the expenses associated with summer school.
- The Board voted to increase tuition for 2015-16 to a total of $6,250, a total increase of $150.
- The Board approved increasing the teacher base salary to $30,700 for 2015-16, an increase of $900 over the current year. The average increase of salaries across the teacher schedule was approximately 3.5%.
- The Board approved an average increase of 3.5% for support staff salaries.
- The Board approved the 2015-16 Budget as presented. The Budget projects revenues in the amount of $7,543,976 with expenditures at $8,305,974, which is reflective of anticipated construction due to the Prop Kids Bond Issue monies.
In Closed Session, the following action was taken.
- The Board accepted the resignation of Eddy Connell as special education teacher.
- The Board employed the following for the 2015-16 school year: Amber Rose, special education teacher; Kelly Riehn, elementary teacher; Crystal Villanueva, Spanish teacher, Bryan Breeding, special education teacher.
- The Board hired individuals for extra duty assignments.