The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on January 20, 2016. Board members Beth Cox, Gary Elders, Heraleen Bowers, Brad Uelsmann, Lisa Schaefer, Justin Braun, and Scott Amick were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- High school principal Mike Johnson informed the Board the number of F’s at the end of first semester this year was eleven. He told the Board last year at the end of first semester there was seventy-two and at the end of seconded semester there was sixty-nine. He contributed the decrease to the ICU program that has been implemented this school year.
- Superintendent Lee gave the Board some legislative updates, informed them health insurance rates should only increase one to two percent, enrollment for December was 837 and attendance for all three buildings was above 90%. He also informed the Board the architect had told him the cost of renovating the larger restrooms would be approximately $30,000 each and the small restrooms would be $8,000. The architect also said the bids for the renovation should be complete in late April.
- The Board approved the list of weighted high school classes as presented by Mr. Johnson, high school principal
- The Board was given an updated Comprehensive School Improvement Plan for their review and approval at the February board meeting.
- The Board certified the election ballot with those filing for school board being Gary Elders and Gary Miller.
- The Board approved a motion to co-op with Kelso C-7 for middle school football next fall.
- The Board voted to proceed with gathering information for implementing a preschool program and applying for a preschool grant.
- The Dille/Traxell architectural firm was approved to prepare the bid process and notification to be two separate bids. One for the Prop Kids renovations and one for the roof repairs.
In closed session, the following action was taken
- The Board voted to extend the contract of Brian Lee as Superintendent through the 2017-18 school year, giving him a two year contract.