The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in regular session on February 17, 2016. Board members Beth Cox, Gary Elders, Heraleen Bowers, Brad Uelsmann, Scott Amick, Lisa Schaefer, and Justin Braun were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- Fourth grade teacher Jana Porch, and some fourth grade students, gave a presentation to the Board concerning their field trip to Mingo on November 13, 2015. The students showed slides to the Board and explained what they did and saw during their visit.
- The Board approved the Comprehensive School Improvement Plan and Running Records as presented at the January Board Meeting.
- Superintendent Lee informed the Board that St. Augustine had postponed making a decision concerning co-oping with Scott City for middle school football until their March Board Meeting.
- The Board heard a presentation from Tim Porch, a member of the Boys and Girls Club steering committee, concerning the proposed local club. He informed the Board that several people had made visits to the Poplar Bluff Boys and Girls Club which were very informational and inspiring. He told the Board the City of Scott City had passed a resolution in support of the Club. He informed the Board approximately 200 people had completed surveys concerning the proposed Club and 80% of those surveyed said there was a need. He said, to start, the club would be Monday – Friday from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. for first through fourth graders. The first hour would be the “power hour” where tutoring and educational activities would be done. The last two hours would be program hours where students would be able to participate in different activities such as art, cooking, karate, etc. Initially the Club would not be held on weekends or summer but the steering committee was hoping to expand the ages and availability as it grew. He informed the Board the next step for the committee was to find a location. He said, at this time, two to three classrooms would be needed, depending on the number of students attending. He asked for the Boards consideration on providing a location.
- The Board decided to table the decision concerning the 2016-17 school calendar until the March Board Meeting.
- The Board voted to approve the last of four extensions with Opaa Food Management for the 2016-17 school year.
In closed session, the following action was taken
- Mark Dannenmueller was hired as assistant softball coach for the 2015-16 school year.
- The Board hired Sarah Pruden as High School Librarian for the 2016-17 school year.
- The Board accepted a letter of retirement from Valerie Eades effective at the end of the current school year
- The Board voted to extend the contract of April Garner as Elementary Principal by one year.
- The Board voted to extend the contract of Mike Umfleet as Middle School Principal by one year.
- The Board voted to extend the contract of Mike Johnson as High School Principal by one year.