The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in special session at 6:15 p.m. on April 13, 2016 for the purpose of the reorganization of the Board within 14 days of the election date. The Oath of Office was administered to the new members Gary Elders and Gary Miller. The election of officers for the year was held. Members elected Beth Cox as president, Gary Elders as Vice-President, Heraleen Bowers as secretary, and Brad Uelsmann as treasurer.
The Scott City R-I Board of Education then met in regular session. Board members Beth Cox, Gary Elders, Heraleen Bowers, Brad Uelsmann, Scott Amick, Justin Braun and Gary Miller were present.
The Board conducted the following business.
- High school principal Mike Johnson informed the Board the high school play would be performed on May 3rd before the band concert. Elementary principal April Garner informed the Board she currently had 194 enrolled in summer school
- Superintendent Lee told the Board of recent monthly payments received from the county and the state. He informed the Board school wide attendance for March was 95.67% with enrollment being 832. He also informed the Board of different legislative issues and told them he was beginning to develop the 2016-17 budget and that school superintendents were told to be conservative.
- The Board approved the Early College Credit procedures that were presented by high school principal Mike Johnson.
- The Board discussed different options on how to help fund non MHSHAA competitions. Possible options included payment of bus driver and sponsor’s expenses up to a certain dollar amount. The Board decided to table the decision until the May meeting where Superintendent Lee would have a written procedure for them to approve.
- The Board was given, and reviewed, the policies guiding confidentiality, code of ethics and responsibilities of the Board of Education.
- The Board voted to continue membership in MEUHP for health insurance for the District.
- The Board approved the list of students that had met all graduation requirements for the class of 2016.
- The Board elected to approve the addendum to the Opaa food contract for summer school.
- The Board discussed the possibility of having a board training session conducted by MARE personnel on June 2nd. It was decided a decision would be made at the May board meeting after everyone checked their availability.
- After reviewing the architect’s proposed timeline and discussing where and how often the advertisement for bids would be published the Board approved a new agreement with Dille Traxell Architecture.
- Prior to voting to go into closed session Director Amick voiced his objection to item 2 on the closed meeting agenda - Possible Litigation. Mr. Amick informed the board he did not believe there was a possibility of litigation and he believed discussion would be held that should be done in open session. Mr. Lee reported that the school attorney instructed him that the issue could develop into litigation and thus should be discussed in closed session.
In closed session, the following action was taken.
- The Board made the motion to hire the following teachers for 2016-2017: Taylor Glueck, fourth grade; Sydney Scherer, part-time Special Services teacher; Brenton Shipman, English; Elizabeth Thomas, Art; and Carmen Winders, Special Services.
- The Board approved the list of individuals for extra duty assignments for 2016-17.
- The Board approved the list of teachers and support staff for summer school.
- The Board re-employed Kerry Thompson as athletic director for the 2016-17 school year.