The Scott City R-I Board of Education met in special session at 6:15 p.m. on April 12, 2017 for the purpose of the reorganization of the Board within 14 days of the election date. The Oath of Office was administered to the new members Matt Underwood, Heraleen Bowers, and Kenny Ingvalson. The election of officers for the year was held, with Beth Cox selected as president, Gary Elders as Vice-President, Heraleen Bowers as secretary, and Gary Miller as treasurer.
The Board then held their regular meeting and conducted the following business:
- Middle School Drama Club sponsor Whitney Miller told the Board of the upcoming Middle School Play that is to be performed April 28th and 29th. Two of the drama students, Misty and Dalton, performed a short scene from the play.
- Sarah Blaylock addressed the Board concerning starting a junior high baseball team. She presented a list of area schools that currently have junior high baseball and junior high softball. Superintendent Lee informed the Board the administration is currently looking into the feasibility of offering additional junior high sports and there would be additional information at the next board meeting.
- High school principal Mike Johnson informed the Board that Prom was held the past weekend off campus for the first time in approximately 15 years. He also informed the Board one of the Robotics teams had won a lottery drawing and would be competing in the World Competition in St. Louis.
- Middle school principal Mike Umfleet informed the Board the bus inspection was conducted recently by the Missouri Highway Patrol and for the eighth consecutive year the school passed at 100%.
- Superintendent Lee informed the Board that EOC testing was completed but MAP testing was still on-going. He also informed the Board that MSHAA had approved Kelso C-participating in middle school football and track, Opaa would be providing meals for summer school, architects from Dille and Traxel had been here to evaluate the roof. Summer school dates have been set for May 16th thru June 9th.
- Approved Aramark as the school’s food service provider starting with the 2017-18 school year.
- The Board was given, and reviewed, the policies guiding confidentiality, code of ethics, nepotism and responsibilities of the Board of Education.
- Professional Development Chair Vicki Helderman reviewed the professional development rules and paperwork with the Board.
- Voted to approve the list of students that will graduate this spring, as long as they have met all requirements to do so.
- Approved the changes to the student dress code as submitted by the administration.
- Voted to approve Policy updates #1210 and #5550.
In closed session the Board:
- Voted to hire Amy Barks as a middle school English teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
- Approved numerous extra duty contracts and a list of prospective summer school teachers.
- Accepted the resignations of Sara Bradshaw, effective April 12, 2017 and Kayla Essner at the end of the school year.
- Accepted the retirement of Shelly Bohn effective at the end of the 2017-18 school year.