The Board conducted the following business:
- Superintendent Lee informed the Board the free summer school lunch and breakfast program had an increase of approximately 8% over the previous summer participation, the installation of the new lights had begun and there was a huge improvement, architect Bret Dille, the project manager for Zoellner Construction, and the maker of the concrete panels for the FEMA building had inspected the building and determined the cracks that have appeared were all cosmetic, not structural. They did say the outside of the building had some small cracks on the surface, they would recommend putting a sealant over the cracks so water would not get in them and freeze. He also updated the Board on legislative activity.
- After discussion concerning starting a middle school baseball and softball program, and input from Skylar Cobb, the Scott City parks director, the Board decided to not start those new programs at this time.
- Accepted the base roofing bid from Riverside for a total of $201,143.
- Heraleen Bowers presented to the Board information concerning the Scott City Boys and Girls Club. Mrs. Bowers told the Board 26 children had participated in the program the past year and they were hoping to double that number the next year. She also gave to them a sample copy of a programming calendar, the results of a survey the participants had completed concerning how they felt about the Club, and a spread sheet that showed how the participant’s grades had changed since their participation in the Club.
- Voted to increase the non-resident tuition rate by $150 making it $6,550 for the 2017-18 school year.
- Approved the final tentative budget as presented pending the necessary adjustments through the end of June.
- Elected to approve the 2017-18 salary schedule, keeping the teacher base salary at $31,000 and allowing all eligible teachers to receive step raises which is an increase of 2.28%.
- Approved the 2017-18 support staff salary schedule with an increase of 2.28%.
- Voted to approve the 2017-18 budget as presented with a deficient spending of $130,004.
In closed session, the board:
- Athletic Director Kerry Thompson reviewed the spring sports. It was also discussed he will do research on the costs of various improvements including lighting, track and scoreboard.
- Approved a list of extra duty assignments for the 2017-18 school year.
- Accepted the letter of retirement from Rosa Cundiff effective at the end of the 2017-18 school year.