The Board conducted the following business:
- Middle school teacher and drama club sponsor Whitney Miller told the Board about the play the middle school would be performing over the weekend. She also told the Board of different activities the group does at their monthly meetings and of their seeing play productions at area schools. The Board was also told, along with the performance of their play over the weekend, there would be an art display by elementary students.
- Mike and Sharon Hart talked to the Board concerning water issues that in their opinion worsened after the school built the FEMA Building. In their opinion, the concrete serves as a runway for the water to their property and showed the Board pictures of standing water on their property after a rain. The Board discussed a few options and agreed to talk to others to look into the issue.
- Middle School Principal Mike Umfleet gave the Board a copy of the middle school’s end of year activities and also reported to the Board that all buses had passed inspection at 100% for the 10th year in a row.
- Superintendent Lee gave legislative and budget updates to the Board. The Board was also told that summer school would once again be serving free breakfast and lunch. He also told the Board of getting three proposals from Monty Keesee to help with the flooding issues and getting some information from Lt. Culler to help with a grant for a school resource officer.
- PDC Chair Vicki Helderman reviewed a list of goals and guidelines with the Board concerning the use of professional development funds.
- Approved the list of the graduating class of 2018, contingent on the students meeting the necessary requirements.
- Discussion was held concerning the current dress code. Allowing community spirit wear was discussed along with the wearing of hoodies. Also discussed was whether backpacks should be allowed in the classroom for safety reasons. The principals, along with some possible parent input, would be reviewing the current policy and have recommendations at the May meeting.
- Discussion was held concerning the E-rate bid. The Board was told the school district would be responsible for 20% of the bid and E-rate would pay 80%. Bids were received from 3 vendors. After reviewing the specs, the approval of a bid was tabled until the May meeting after more review.
In closed session the Board:
- Appointed Carmen Winders as curriculum director for the 2018-19 school year.
- Accepted the resignation of Whitney Miller, Taylor Glueck, and Nancy Townsend effective at the end of the 2017-18 school year.
- Hired the following: Olivia Wilcoxson as an English teacher, Robert Williamson as an English teacher, and Dana Hann as elementary secretary for the 2018-19 school year.
- Individually hired the non-tenured teachers that had been hired as a group at the March meeting.
- Approved numerous extra duty assignments for the 2018-19 school year.