The Board conducted the following business:
- Superintendent Lee informed the Board summer school was a success with approximately 6,443 free meals being served that the school would be reimbursed for through the Health Department. He also informed the Board a horticulture class would be offered during the 2018-19 school year. The possibility of changing the date of graduation from Mother’s Day was discussed with the possible dates being on Friday, May 10th or Friday, May 17th. The Board was also told the roof had leaked and caused damage to the high school gym floor and there was a possibility the insurance would pay for having the entire floor repainted, less the deductible.
- The drainage issue along the west side of the school was discussed. Bryan Bowers informed the Board he would be doing an elevation study of the area. After the elevation study is completed the situation will be re-evaluated.
- Increased the out of district tuition by $150 for a total of $6,700.
- Approved the tentative final budget as presented.
- Approved the 2018-19 certified salary schedule. The base salary will remain the same as the current salary schedule with an added step (step 29) at the bottom of the MA+32 column. Teachers will also be allowed to move 2 steps horizontally and 1 step vertically.
- Approved the support staff salary schedule with an increase of approximately 2.28%.
- Approved the 2018-19 budget with $4,758 more in revenues than expenses.
- The Board was informed the school and city had worked out an arrangement for a School Resource Officer. The Officer would be hired by the city but would be at the school full time. The school, in turn, would pay the city a total of $35,000 towards the officer’s expenses. The officer would be at the school during the school day and at extra-curricular activities, including away, if deemed necessary.
- Voted to approve MUSIC Policies 1320,2812 and 6445.
- The Board was given a list of board norms that Director Bowers had collected from MSBA. The information is to be used in helping with rules of governance so everyone can be on the same page.
In Closed Session the Board:
- • Hired Laura Ort as Athletic Director and Assistant High School Principal.
- Accepted the resignation of Sydney Short as a teacher assistant and Nathan Faulkenberry as part-time special services teacher for the 2018-19 school year.
- Hired Janet Stritzel and Jeff Kulo as special services teacher assistants for the 2018-19 school year.
- Approved a list of extra duty assignments for the 2018-19 school year